[RE-wrenches] Troubleshooting Off-grid PV.. battery

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Tue May 29 16:56:21 PDT 2012

Eric,

I have not been following this at all & here is my .02  -

Load test

Specific gravity test per cell.

Volt per cell measurement at rest.

Volt per cell measurement under as big a load as you can impose.

Volt per cell measurement with as big a charge as you can impose.

The voltage will drop off on bad or dying cells severely and out of line and
in comparison with "good cells" & the voltage will jump up severely under
charge.

If you line up the measurements - SG, VPC/ rest, VPC/ load, VPC/ charge.

It become visually clear if one or more is out of line. If your SG is 1000 -
1100 & all cells do not improve even after an EQ charge on the bank you
probably are looking at replacement.

****Try a refractometer instead of a hydrometer easier, cleaner, less acid
to play with unless you are so inclined, much more accurate, best of all
refractometers do not break in the truck on the road or if someone tosses a
tool in on top of them.

Good luck!

Dana Orzel - Great Solar Works, Inc -  E - dana at solarwork.com -  V
970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140     C - 970.209.4076     web - www.solarwork.com

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"

Please consider the environment before printing this email   NABCEP #
051112-136