[RE-wrenches] Troubleshooting Off-grid PV

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Sun May 27 16:37:16 PDT 2012

Hi Eric,

Check the dates on the KC-120 module label. If any were manufactured between January 1999 and December 2002, they have or will fail. We have been replacing these modules for over 8 years now. There was a defective solder joint during manufacture. Kyocera will still replace them under warranty even though they have no legal requirement to do so. They will ship you remanufactured 120's and pay for return shipping. Contact Kyocera about the procedure.

If the batteries are sulfated, they will not produce the load necessary to drive the current high. Capacity has nothing to do with it; internal resistance does. You can test the array by pulling the voltage down (turn on some big loads) at solar noon. This will force the controller into bulk and reveal the maximum current the array can produce. I think you have two problems here. With bad modules, you may not see much.

It is typical for a controller to transition to float very early in the charge cycle if the battery is sulfated. Look for a fast rise in voltage in the morning. This is an indicator of sulfated battery. A healthy battery will slowly climb in voltage.

Let me k now if you need more understanding about batteries, charging and why MOST of them never see old age. It's my speciality.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems
(928) 342-9103