[RE-wrenches] cogeneration

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 13:27:04 PDT 2012

Hi Mark, I have had a brush with a Honda CHP Combined Heat and Power unit, a 1 kW unit I think, and with a Marathon "ecopower" a 4.9? KW,  I was not the installer, These were a while back,  4 and 2 years I think.  One house the customer was keeping maticulus records and had a value calculation.  (honda unit)  The house had multiple systems,  and it turned out to be a significant challange to figure out what should be running.  From memory both put out about 2x kW the heat as they did electricity.  The marathon put out quite a bit of heat, and could be used as a furnace in a highly insulated house.  Both units had an inverter output and coupled well with a battery based inverter system.  (I connected through an Outback situation.  I did not connect through AC coupling to a DGI inverter.  The CHP acted as the grid and the outback acted Bimodal, nothing special no problems.
I may be able to find the system diagrams, but they are simple.
BTW I am preparing a CHP - PV proposal for off grid this week,
DT