[RE-wrenches] Solar NGO's in Haiti??

Lee Bristol leebristol at standardsolar.com
Wed May 23 11:22:48 PDT 2012

Bill,

I think that you should seriously think of a 24V DC system with high
efficiency LED lights, DC fans, DC refrigerators, DC computers and Internet
access devices, and DC for the other appliances like TVs and radios.  Start
by minimizing the power requirements.  Air conditioning is a huge load and
not worth it from my point of view, open windows and fans work pretty
well.  It is Haiti after all.  You can get a battery charger if need be and
use the intermittent grid only in an emergency.

I put a small 500 watt AC system on a school in Carcasse, Haiti a couple of
years ago and recently got a report that it wasn't working.  Upon visiting,
I found a donation of 12 ten year old computers at an average of 100 watts
each so of course my system "wasn't working", the loads were too great.  I
subsequently realized that there are 20 watt DC computers, 9 watt LED
lights to replace 25 watt CFLs, etc and so my solar PV and battery
requirements can be substantially reduced by choosing the electrical
appliances appropriately.

I wholeheartedly agree with buying modules, charge controllers, and racking
locally and getting local electricians to help you out too.  We are trying
to stimulate a new PV industry in Haiti and need all the work we can get.

Note that the DC system is much simpler than AC and connecting to the
Haitian grid will be a problem.  Take advantage of Occam's Razor and the
KISS principle and consider DC.

Lee

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM, William Dorsett <wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Daryl, I greatly appreciate your offer to help us think through putting a
> system together in Haiti. For some time we will be prioritizing the loads
> not so much for the orphanage but for the doc and his wife. They are like
> so
> many who buy into a project before processing that they are the ones
> needing
> to modify their lifestyles..one of their priorities at our last meeting was
> air conditioning. So it is going to take a reality check on equipment costs
> for them to come to grips with actually living there. Even then these
> people
> might have enough money to stick out as the Cadillac in a barrio. As we get
> closer to a list of indispensable loads (even at that you'll probably have
> better idea of what can be bought in Haiti), then we'll know what size
> battery bank, inverter, etc and I would like to get back to you on the
> hardware and other design considerations that might be unique to Haiti.
>
> Bill Dorsett
> Sunwrights
> Manhattan, KS

Lee Bristol
NABCEP Certified Solar Designer/Installer

Co-Founder & Commercial Channel Manager
Standard Solar, Inc.
1355 Piccard Drive, #300
Rockville, MD 20850