[RE-wrenches] power factor

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Mon May 7 21:01:19 PDT 2012

Todd

Sounds like everything is probably working normally. The power factor of
the grid interactive inverter is probably close to 1.0 so when you are
exporting power the power factor will go down. Actually, I'm assuming
that the power factor is normally somewhat reasonable to begin with. It
is possible, but unlikely, that the power factor without the solar
system operational was nearly zero. The attached file demonstrates what
is going on. In addition to the solar system exporting 1.0 kW, you had a
load of 2.03 kW at a power factor of 0.65. The solar system reduced the
load the utility meter sees to 1.03 kW, but it didn't change the kVAR.

Since they have provided you with a fancy meter, check out what it says
just after you turn off the inverter.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com