[RE-wrenches] PV harvest in grid-tied systems

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:51:34 PDT 2012

So if I understand you, your problem is that you have a grid tied battery
backed system XW based system that ought to be exporting power. I have
installed the same system near my office. You are finding that the
customer's electricity cost has not decreased as expected.
I know that when I stand in front of the utilities mechanical meter at
noon, especially when the owners are not in residence, the meter spins
backwards at a rapid pace.

In order to make that work, I programmed the inverter to a "Charge Off"
setting. I let the batteries charge by solar only.

The XW is a pig to setup , I used the outback GFX seriesafter that
installation.

The biggest issue is the hybrid setups like this have poor reporting so it
is hard to know what is going on without moving in. In your case, I would
put one of my eGuage metering units on the utility feeder and look at the
export and import in real time. I would also put CTs on the inverter feed
to measure the production and consumption. Let me know if you need help
with that, I resell these devices.

Chris Mason
President, Comet Systems Ltd
masonc at cometsystems.co