[RE-wrenches] Interstate L-16 vs Trojan L-16REB

John DeBoever jdeboever at trojanbattery.com
Thu Feb 16 09:46:20 PST 2012

Larry,

I understand your point.
What I clarified is that periodic cycling is not a requirement or benefit in achieving longer flooded lead acid deep-cycle battery life. Equalization is still required depending application specific, yet at a much lower periodic rate than if the application was true cyclic.
I also agree that there are lead acid batteries out there designed just for floating applications. Their design focus on thinner plates for higher current and less cycling.  This technology does focus on low self-discharge, high corrosion resistance, not on the various technologies specifics related to deep cycling.  Hence they like floating applications that stays in float mode 99% of the time and need to crank power very occasionally. Cycling such batteries will be reducing dramatically their life.

In a nut shell: there are benefits to tap in both technologies. Certainly there are "UPS" applications where floating mode is not looking for deep-cycling. Certainly there are "cyclic" applications where deep-cycling capability are mandatory. And then you have all in between, which makes all of us excited with different opinions. Ask 10 battery experts and the answers will be "it depends". I would say, understanding the loads and the application is a great step towards long life. Next  steps are picking the right battery for the application, sizing, installation and maintenance.

John
John F. DeBoever
Global Technical Director - Renewable Energy
Trojan Battery Company

12380 Clark Street
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Tel: +1-562-236-3000 Ext. 3139
Cell: +1-845-514-7600 - NY office time zone: USA EST (GMT-5)
Skype: john.f.deboever
Fax: +1-562-236-3239
jdeboever at trojanbattery.com<mailto:jdeboever at trojanbattery.com>
www.trojanbattery.com<http://www.trojanbattery.com/>