[RE-wrenches] String Vs Micro

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Feb 2 10:25:34 PST 2012

After swapping a major manufacturer string inverter 4 times over a two
year period, and not knowing why, I can say unequivocally that I don't
want to deal with that again. Talk about customer frustration... At
least in a micro installation, the system remains functional when one
microinverter goes down, and as you mentioned, people want to know
what's going on!

One other factor is permitting and inspection. AHJ's seem much more
comfortable dealing with AC branch circuits. Calculating voltage drops
(although still important for the installer in an AC micro installation)
is far less important than DC voltage drop issues in the mind of the
plan reviewer. The major factors AHJs look at in a micro installation
are string quantities, interconnection wiring and circuit protection,
and grounding.

I do agree with your smaller roof comment, too. We have mostly hip roofs
on newer homes and they are all cut up into small pieces, especially in
upscale neighborhoods where people have money to spend on solar energy
products.

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar