[RE-wrenches] meter pan?

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Tue Jan 24 06:49:01 PST 2012

I guess someone could argue that 690.15 would require a disconnect on
both sides of that meter, but for this install, the line-side disconnect
would immediately trip the inverters offline, so you can't really say
that the meter is "energized from more than one source" like a DC
disconnect would be. I'd say your fused disconnect would be all you
need. Does your utility/program really allow you to put the production
meter in the basement?

Is anyone using the Milbank load-tap connectors yet? Part# K4977-INT
allows for up to a 100A load-side connection in a Milbank 200A meter
socket. It looks like it would be the best/easiest way to make these
connections with caveats: get utility's permission before you open the
socket and pull out the meter, and be wary of the very live voltage on
the line side terminals.
http://solarprofessional.com/article/?file=SP5_1_pg20_TheWire_3

(hat tip to Eric Thomas, who I now see posted about this last April-- I
don't see that anyone's commented on it since)

Also, note that the tap rules don't apply here, so you're better off
calling it something other than "tap" when talking with your inspector.

-Dave