[RE-wrenches] meter pan?

mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 06:52:33 PST 2012

Here in Xcel territory in Colorado, we are required to cold-sequence the
solar production meter.  These disconnects have to be utility accessible
and adjacent to the production meter itself.  I believe this is only a
utility requirement, not a code requirement.  This seems to be unneeded
redundancy, because the inverter side will shut down, once the line side is
deenergized.

Mac Lewis

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Allen Frishman <amfrish at aeonsolar.com>wrote:

> Wrencher's,
> I am having a good debate with a fellow solar installer regarding an NEC
> requirement to isolate a meter between two disconnecting means adjacent to
> the meter when grid connecting via a tap.   My thought is that if we have a
> load center with breakers to combine multiple inverters on the roof, the PV
> meter can be located in the basement between the roof load center and a
> fused disconnect adjacent to the tap with no need for a disconnect next to
> the meter on the load center side of the meter.  Can anyone reference a
> section in the code that requires a disconnecting means adjacent to both
> sides of the meter?  The meter I am referencing simply records the total
> kWh's of the solar system as required by the State incentive program.
>
> All feedback is appreciated.
>
> *Al Frishman*
> AeonSolar
>
> *(917) 699-6641 - cell*