[RE-wrenches] battery venting

William Dorsett wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 2 18:02:57 PST 2012

Jeffery, I sent a system with some friends who needed a backup to combat rolling blackouts in Hyderabad. I’ve also spent quite a bit of time around the equator and know that you need to plan for Murphy’s Law squared. I would design it as simple and as free of moving parts as possible. If it is in South India, buildings have lots of ventilation, and it won’t be the problem that it could be in the winter north.  If you build the box like Dan suggests as a “screened in range hood” so the hydrogen is funneled upwards, with oversized and continuously sloped the vent piping, 3” PVC with few (1 or 2) 45 angles, I think you’d be fine.  If you want to go more conservatively, up it to 4”.

Bill Dorsett

Sunwrights

Manhattan, KS