[RE-wrenches] battery venting

bob ellison reellison at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 10:33:48 PST 2012

Sorry to add to the message with more thoughts. It will not get sent till I
get a connection tomorrow. I was sitting in a C store parking lot
downloading 36 meg of e mail when I did the initial answer.
I am so far back in the woods that if the pump breaks we don't get daylight!

The powervents don't flow a lot and seem to fail too often.

I know one dealer who swears by the "Rule" bilge vents for boats. They are
high flow and brushless, designed to pump fumes from boat bilges. So I
gather that they are safe in this use. I have not used them yet.

In small boxes I use a radio shack brushless fan that will run off the
Classic relay. Start it early (I use 26.5 or so volts) and let it shut off
late. That helps to get the gasses all out.
Plan your vents to help draw the fresh air in around the batteries, don't
use just 1 or 2 vent holes, or put them all in 1 side of the box.

Happy New Year,
Bob Ellison

Message-----