[RE-wrenches] off grid PV connected to generator

Greg Seelhorst gseelhorst at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 20:18:06 PST 2012

August -

I've seen this scenario and it is not pretty like William suggests.

>From what I've seen, the problem is not so much the power of the PV being
more than the generator, but moreso if the 1) generator is synchronous or
non-synchronous with the inverted AC (sine wave) and 2) if the loads are
less than the PV.   The generator will 'create' the voltage and run even if
there are zero loads.  The inverted AC (from PV) wants to push current onto
the 'local grid' and if there are no loads (nor heat sink diversion or
batteries to charge) then the current will try to backfeed the generator.

My recommendation is to get a critical loads panel for the generator only
back-up, or go grid-tie with back-up using a Sunny Island, or the like, that
make the switch seamless during an outage.

Greg Seelhorst

Designer/Project Manager

NABCEP Certified Solar PV InstallerT

POSITIVE ENERGY, Inc.

510 S. Main Street

Las Cruces, New Mexico 88001
Cell: 575-650-1883

Office: 575-524-2030

FAX: 575-915-1788

 <mailto:gs at PositiveEnergySolar.com> gs at PositiveEnergySolar.com
www.positiveenergysolar.com

 <http://www.positiveenergysolar.com/>
http://www.positiveenergysolar.com/images/stories/PE-logotype.png