[RE-wrenches] off grid PV connected to generator

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 16:18:45 PST 2012

I have watched this scenario happen with a the Sunny Island system AC
coupled to Sunny Island.  There is a parameter called maximum reverse
generator power that you can program.  It defaults at 100W I believe.  If
the current feeding into the generator is greater than this parameter, the
Sunny Island will disconnect the generator from the system.

 In your case, If the PV is able to sync to the generator and If the PV is
producing more than the loads can absorb, it will probably feed that
current into the rotor and induce higher voltage in the stator.  In the
best case scenario, it will knock the PV off-line, stabilize the voltage
and resync and continue the cycle.  Worst case, it will ruin your
generator.  I would recommend against it.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM, William Miller <william at millersolar.com>wrote:

> August:
>
> The apocalypse.  No, seriously, this is a scenario not supported by any
> manufacturer I know of.  The report we have is it is likely the generator
> will be damaged.  I recommend against it.
>
> William Miller
>

> At 02:07 PM 12/12/2012, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Wrenches,
>>
>> I have a quick theoretical question related to trying to run a standard
>> grid tied PV system off grid with a generator. A client called me wondering
>> if he could run his small Honda generator off grid connected to his load
>> center and then turn on his PV system. What would happen if more PV power
>> is produced than is being consumed? Anyone tried this?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> August

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.**org<RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>
>
> Options & settings: