[RE-wrenches] DC, or not DC, Dat is Da question (Two Load Questions)

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Tue Dec 11 21:10:42 PST 2012

this brings up a probably off topic subject regarding efficiency. i have always considered efficiency and conservation to be job one... especially on off grid systems... but with modules so inexpensive... does this still make sense? for example, i have an off grid customer who i suggested get a lorentz pump for his well. yes, the well produces around the same gpm as it used to, now only using about 15% of the power... but the cost to accomplish that was absurd, and that money could have been invested in more modules, which would also mean less winter generator run time... but manufacturing modules is not light in the resource consumption department either.

so my question is: do you other wrenches just look at the bottom line, short term costs for more efficient appliances compared to more modules to power the old inefficient gear... or do you take the added step to include embedded energy... and if so can you share the calculation process?

thanks,

todd