[RE-wrenches] off-grid permitting problem

Jeff Yago jryago at dtisolar.com
Tue Dec 11 19:52:26 PST 2012

We have a client that just had assembled on his rural property a pre-fab
modular home with  "normal" wiring and 200 amp main panel and meter base.
However, landowners around his property will not grant access for electric
utility to cross and he needs to move in ASAP.  He realizes that some day he
should be able to resolve this utility access but until then he wants us to
do an off-grid "basic" solar system with generator backup so he can at least
power lights, well pump, and basic appliances.   His budget will not allow a
fully off-grid solar system so we wanted to do reduced solar and battery
system with larger generator to fill in on bad solar days.  He does have
good solar exposure and lots of cleared land, but figures one day the solar
and generator will become a backup system to a future grid connection so
does not want to spend any more than absolutely necessary.

However ,this local inspector for this rural county has no experience with
solar and is expecting to see a 200 amp service connection from the utility
before allowing occupancy.  He did hint that a 100 amp service connection
may be allowed but nothing less.  I know NEC does mention that a panel does
not have to be supplied with the amount of service capacity it is rated for,
but what other code issues can I point out to get this accepted without
getting into a pis----- contest?

Thanks,

Jeff Yago