[RE-wrenches] DC, or not DC, Dat is Da question (Two Load Questions)

Jason Lerner wapalco at rockisland.com
Tue Dec 11 11:54:31 PST 2012

Hello Larry,

I still install DC fridge/freezers in off grid systems for efficiency,  but also so that when the owners leave for the weekend/week/month they can turn off the inverter and all the associated phantom AC loads,  but the DC freezer is still on. When they come back, the meat in the freezer is still frozen.

Recently for a new off grid cabin we compared a Subzero 23 Cu. ft. fridge/freezer to a Sundanzer chest freezer and Sunfrost all fridge which is 51 cu ft.combined.  Using nameplate yearly KWH's, retail price tags and putting the freezer in an outbuilding we found the sunfrost/sundanzer has 2.22 times more cu ft at 60% of the subzero's energy consumption....at 66% of the cost of the Subzero.

Adding additional PV/wiring/CC/racking to run the Subzero was going to cost an additional $2500.  The contractor building the cabin brought up the point that the Sunfrost does stick out farther into the kitchen then an "average" fridge and there was going to be a cost associated with custom cabinets to match that depth,  possibly the same amount as adding extra PV's...

Best,

Jason Lerner
Waldron Power and Light Co.