[RE-wrenches] bubbling Sanyo modules

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Dec 5 08:01:55 PST 2012

boB,

If the cells are still "capable" of 80% or more but a defect is in cell interconnection, junction box or whatever is preventing output, then the power warranty does not apply.

Example: The 1999 through 2002 Kyocera KC120-1's have been failing in the thousands. A poorly soldered contact opens and 1/2 the module stops passing power (Voc 10.5 V). To date, Kyocera is still exchanging these with remanufactured units without any legal liability to do so. They even pay us the labor to replace them more than 10 years out of warranty.  They have my kudos for the way they are handling this.

A manufacturer will be on my sh!t list if they don't stand behind an obvious production failure that is occurring in many modules. I hope this is not the case with these Sanyo.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems

On Dec 5, 2012, at 12:03 AM, boB wrote:

On 12/4/2012 9:25 PM, benn kilburn wrote:
> Doug,
> While the module may be past its workmanship warranty period, if the defect affects the module's power output.... then i would argue that the power output warranty should cover it.  That warranty should be good for 25yrs.
> Anyone care to comment on that reasoning?
>
> benn

In a way, I don't quite understand the difference.

If a module plain old stops working because of workmanship or whatever,
isn't 0% of original output less than 80% of original output ??

boB