[RE-wrenches] roof rakes

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 14:57:46 PST 2012

I lived off-grid for eight years in the Wisconsin north woods.  Snow
accumulating on PV and hot water collectors was often a problem.

I used a lightweight plastic-framed cloth floor broom.  Had a threaded handle
screwed into the broom head. The broom head threads were the same size
as handles for paint roller extensions, which come in short to very long
lengths.  Bought extensions to reach the highest point.  Extensions are
made in both plastic and wood.  I used plastic for the light weight, the kind
that had metal caps for the threads.  Anything else tended to strip out over
time.  Brooms are also available in various sizes as needed.

Worked perfectly (except on ice from ice storms).

Low-cost, and readily available year-round.

Dan