[RE-wrenches] Best practices for conduit penetration on roof

Gary Willett gary at icarussolarservices.com
Mon Nov 26 15:37:48 PST 2012

JASON:

I talked to Steve Capozzi of SolaDeck and he sent me additional info
about the circuit breakers:

    _Manufacturer_:  ABB

    _Terminal Temp Rating_:  75C / 167F

    _Reference Temperature_: 20C / 68F

    _Ambient Temp Derating_:

        30C/86F = 18.7A
        40C/104F = 17.3A
        50C/122F = 15.8A
        60C/140F = 14.1A
        70C/158F = 12.2A

My concern is that we may be attempting to use an interior rated AC
breaker in a roof-deck-mounted NEMA3-R enclosure.

In an Enphase application, with the maximum of 17 inverters per AC
Source Circuit, the continuous current will be 0.9A x 17 x 1.25 = 19.1A.
This exceeds the 30C/86F trip current of 18.7A.

The interior temperature of the SolaDeck could very likely approach the
60C/140F trip current of 14.1A.

It seems to me that "nuisance trips" could be a high probability event.

Does anyone have any field experience using this Soladeck option for a
AC Source Circuit Combiner Box (SCCB)?

Another issue, at least in some jurisdictions, is the requirement for a
roof-top AC Disconnect.

The SolaDeck, when used as an AC SCCB, may not meet the NEC Article 100
requirements in some jurisdictions for "readily accessible" because a
tool is required to open it.

Regards,

Gary Willett, PE
Icarus Engineering LLC