[RE-wrenches] Independent vs common trip breakers

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Sep 25 16:03:27 PDT 2012

August:

It's all about safety:  If one has a 230V circuit and you are incorrectly
using non-handle-tied breakers, when an overcurrent event occurs on only
one phase, only one breaker trips.  The circuit stops working but the
appliance is still energized with the other phase of AC.  A repair person
may inadvertently assume the circuit is off based on the non-operational
status of the appliance and, during repair, come in contact with conductors
or equipment energized by the breaker that is still on.

In a correct installation (handle-tied) an overcurrent on one phase
de-energizes both phases.

A similar scenario applies in situations with a "multi-wire branch
circuit," aka a shared neutral.  It is less likely that a dangerous
situation will occur because one circuit will still work.  Opening the
neutral can result in over-voltaging one circuit (been there, bought that
replacement cash register).  I am not a house electrician, but I think
dishwasher / garbage disposal multi-wire circuits require handle
ties.  Anyone else want to clarify this point?

This is a subtle but important point.  This is an example of knowledge that
a non-licensed or under-experienced electrician may not posses, hence the
desirability of requiring meaningful licensure.

Sincerely,

William Miller