[RE-wrenches] Independent vs common trip breakers

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Sep 25 15:06:35 PDT 2012

Hi Wrenches,

Do any of you know the reason why we might use an independent trip versus a
common trip two pole breaker for a solar inverter? My understanding is that
the independent trip will only trip the individual line effected by the
overcurrent condition compared to the common trip which will trip both
poles. Both are tied together by a handle tie and both lines must be
flipped on at the same time. Cutler hammer is a good example of a company
who makes both types.

It seems like supply houses sell both types willy nilly.

Best,

August