[RE-wrenches] Extensive Lightning Damage to Modules

Solarguy ntrei at 1scom.net
Fri Sep 7 17:58:15 PDT 2012

In 2006 we installed a dozen Spire 85W modules w/clear backing in pairs as
skylights. Shortly after, the building attached to the electrical equipment
room, took a direct lightning strike to the wind anemometer 10 feet above
the roof. Of the 12 modules four suffered damage to their diodes. Several
were completely vaporized, there was nothing remaining except powder and the
leads. Others had burnt diodes with leads that had clearly been very hot.
Other modules were just fine, the damage seemed to be random with all 12 in
series.

The 4 trackers, the closest ~70 ft. away, are grounded with two spools of
buried #8 bare copper and Uffer grounds in the concrete piers were
untouched. Delta SS's at the tracker discos and in the inverter room were
unaffected which I thought was odd. 5 Sunny boys & 2 Sunny Islands in the
same room were toasted. Our only experience with lightning.

Jim Duncan

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

www.ntrei.com <http://www.ntrei.com/>

NABCEP PV 031310-57