[RE-wrenches] Combating requests for itemized PV pricing

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sat Aug 18 11:25:37 PDT 2012

jason and others - i also get these folks, but my reputation is stellar and i am (thankfully) in such high demand that i can still turn down work, which allows me to keep my bull-shit-detector fully activated and be very selective with who i will work for.

that being said... we have a diy company here (wholesale solar) in mount shasta. i get calls from people who bought materials from them, wanting me to install someone else's design and materials. i am VERY clear with folks i do not touch materials i do not sell or install designs i do not do... and the reason, which is because of quality and warranty issues.

for example, a couple of jobs ago i ended up with a defective out-of-the-box fm80. part of what paid for me to troubleshoot, contact outback and replace it (twice) was my profit margin (although if necessary, i will lose money on a job to make it right for the customer). i mention things like this to the customer and usually the light goes on as they 'get' the value of my design and free troubleshooting /service/ training for a year (and often longer) after the system has been installed.

i absolutely refuse to do jobs for people wanting "solar on their house" without any consideration of wasteful behavior or the need for efficiency upgrades first. ethically, i have a hard time with these kinds of jobs... and now that the prostitution of the solar industry is nearly 100% complete, i let the "new expert$$$" have those customers.

yes, i make less income putting in smaller systems for conscious people, but i feel good about the work i do, sleep well at night... and i believe i have far fewer hassles since i let the problem customers (whose only consideration is the bottom line cost) go elsewhere.

my .02

todd