[RE-wrenches] 12V loads

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Aug 10 17:03:58 PDT 2012

The QO breaker has an AIC of 5000 amps.  The usual golf cart batteries have a short circuit current of about 2000 amps, so you could do a set of 4 golf cart batteries at 12v, without worrying about the extra fuse.
Once again, if the system gets any bigger, they should just go to an inverter based design.
Also, to be clear, I don't risk my license installing ATC fused systems on permanent structures.  (strictly RVs, and portable set ups)
As soon as I'm doing an install covered by the code, it's going to be code compliant, and it's going to be inverter based.
Take a look at Midnite's Mini DC panel wired to Magnum's smallest inverter.  You'd be surprised how cheap you can do a code compliant inverter based system, and how much money you can waste trying to do a code compliant DC only system.

Ray Walters
NABCEP certified since 2004