[RE-wrenches] Security / theft questions

Steve McCarney stevemccarney54 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:40:21 PDT 2012

The theft problem is sometimes different in other countries. In some
developing countries PV module theft is being informally reported as on the
rise at public sites like schools and clinics and wells. Some UN health
officials in these countries see PV module theft as one of the major causes
of PV system failure for PV powered vaccine refrigerator systems - right
behind various battery system problems, usually the main equipment failure
point.

There is a market for the stolen modules too. In one case I was shown
modules for sale on the street only a few miles from where a large array
had been ripped off. The local solar pro who pointed this out claimed these
were the very same modules and that law and order was no help, at least in
that area.

Communities learn and in some cases have set up their own volunteer guards.
In other cases some of the income generated from public PV systems has been
used to hire security. Even that doesn't always work.