[RE-wrenches] L feet no flashing in shingle roof

Ryan Mayfield ryan at renewableassociates.com
Tue Jul 3 14:34:48 PDT 2012

Getting back to the flashing aspect of this thread, the comment about improperly installed flashings doing more harm than good and the general comments about L feet straight to the roof…

Yes, if you install ANYTHING wrong it's counterproductive but if you read the instructions and use common sense then flashing is a no-brainer. L feet straight to the roof not only voids roof warranties, but they also violate ALL roofing best practices and it makes our industry look bad. No roofer or roof manufacturer would ever hold a warranty on a roof with just L feet attached to it. We wouldn't want a roofer making electrical connections or designs on a PV system without the right training so why would we want to violate their standards when we penetrate their roofs?

Ryan