[RE-wrenches] Wind Turbines killing birds and bats

roy at four-winds-energy.com roy at four-winds-energy.com
Fri Jun 22 07:37:59 PDT 2012

And for more fact sheets on small and distributed wind, check out the
Distributed Wind Energy Association at:
www.distributedwind.org

> It is definitely just another talking point against wind energy.  Of
> course large wind developments should be aware of migratory patterns.
> AWEA and DWEA both have good resources for debunking the myths.  For those
> of you interested:
>

> Great Fact Sheet, by Mick Sagrillo
>
> http://www.renewwisconsin.org/wind/Toolbox-Fact%20Sheets/birds/Birds-FoE%20fact%20sheet%202007.pdf
>

> Small Wind Toolbox for debunking other myths
>
> http://www.renewwisconsin.org/wind/windtoolbox.htm
>

> From AWEA (American Wind Energy Assoc.):
>
> "Birds and wind turbines:  While birds do collide with wind turbines at
> some sites, modern wind power plants are collectively far less harmful to
> birds than are radio towers, tall buildings, airplanes, vehicles and
> numerous other manmade objects. The National Academy of Sciences estimated
> in 2006 that wind power is responsible for less than 0.003% (3 of every
> 100,000) of bird deaths caused by humans and pets."
>

> Ryan Harkins
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer /
> Project Manager
>

> Synergy Renewable Systems, LLC
> PO Box 58
> Stoughton, WI 53589
> PH: 608-712-7862
> ryan.harkins at energycraft.com
> www.energycraft.com
>

> On Jun 21, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Solarguy wrote:
>
>> By some estimates, outdoor cats in the United States kill more than 1
>> million birds every day on average. Other studies suggest the death toll
>> is as high as 1 billion per year.
>>
>> http://blog.nwf.org/2011/03/new-studies-highlight-impact-of-outdoor-cats-on-birds-and-other-wildlife/
>> Jim Duncan

Roy Butler
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®
NYSERDA eligible PV & wind installer
Four Winds Renewable Energy, LLC
8902 Route 46
Arkport, NY 14807
607-324-9747

www.four-winds-energy.com

Although no trees were killed in the sending of this message, a large