[RE-wrenches] Wind Turbines killing birds and bats

Ryan Harkins ryan.harkins at energycraft.com
Fri Jun 22 06:53:08 PDT 2012

It is definitely just another talking point against wind energy.  Of course large wind developments should be aware of migratory patterns.  AWEA and DWEA both have good resources for debunking the myths.  For those of you interested:

Great Fact Sheet, by Mick Sagrillo

http://www.renewwisconsin.org/wind/Toolbox-Fact%20Sheets/birds/Birds-FoE%20fact%20sheet%202007.pdf

Small Wind Toolbox for debunking other myths

http://www.renewwisconsin.org/wind/windtoolbox.htm

From AWEA (American Wind Energy Assoc.):

"Birds and wind turbines:  While birds do collide with wind turbines at some sites, modern wind power plants are collectively far less harmful to birds than are radio towers, tall buildings, airplanes, vehicles and numerous other manmade objects. The National Academy of Sciences estimated in 2006 that wind power is responsible for less than 0.003% (3 of every 100,000) of bird deaths caused by humans and pets."

Ryan Harkins
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer /
Project Manager

Synergy Renewable Systems, LLC