[RE-wrenches] sub-panel supply-side tap

Hans Frederickson hans at fredelectric.com
Wed Jun 6 08:08:02 PDT 2012

Kirk,
You're basically doing a feeder tap, which you'll find the rules for in NEC
240.21(B). The difference from the intent of this code is that your tap  is
working in reverse. It will supply current to the feeder rather than receive
current from it. If your subpanel doesn't have a main breaker appropriately
sized to protect the feeder wiring, then technically your 80A from PV and
200A from the service could add to 280A and overload the feeder wiring
between the tap and the subpanel, as well as the subpanel bussing.  If I was
the AHJ, I would require a main breaker in the subpanel in addition to the
conditions specified in 240.21(B). This is definitely one to check on with
the AHJ ahead of time.

Regards,
-Hans