[RE-wrenches] NABCEP

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Wed May 30 16:56:55 PDT 2012

One of the issues I have with the NABCEP certification is the title. When I
look at the subject matter, comparing the scope to other similar
certifications, I feel "installer" is not really accurate. I have a couple
of workers that install PV systems with me, and they are able to get the
job done. They are what I would call installers. They don't work with the
customer to design the right solution and solve problems, lay out the best
approach and develop the right bill of materials.

The skills that the NABCEP  PV certification Job Task Analysis requires is
more of a systems designer. An installer does not need trigonometry,
electrical theory and mechanical design to that extent.

In other disciplines, anyone with the depth of knowledge the NACBEP
requires would be a systems designer and project manager. The title
"Installer" does not properly convey this knowledge and skill set, and does
not give the customer an accurate representation of the role of the
professional.

--
Chris Mason
President, Comet Systems Ltd