[RE-wrenches] Finding ground faults

boB at midnitesolar.com boB at midnitesolar.com
Wed May 23 18:34:44 PDT 2012

On 5/23/2012 4:44 PM, Darryl Thayer wrote:
> I sure do not like the way the X brand installed their charge
> controller, Also the code says that all strings must open if one
> string is faulted.  your breaker does this up to 4 strings.
> DT

I think that this is the pertinent part of the code regarding this...

In part...

31.1 Inverters or charge controllers with direct photovoltaic inputs
from a grounded photovoltaic array or

arrays shall be provided with a ground-fault detector/interrupter
(GFDI). The GFDI shall be capable of

detecting a ground fault, providing an indication of the fault,
interrupting the flow of fault current, and either

isolating the faulted array section or disabling the inverter to cease
the export of power.

This may very well change in the 2014 NEC from what I understand.

boB