[RE-wrenches] Solar NGO's in Haiti??

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Fri May 18 15:23:15 PDT 2012

Hi Bill,
   I worked in Haiti this last year for a couple of months with an NGO and
installed a donated system. Customs took almost ten months to allow the
solar panels to pass through. They sat in customs through two different
trips down. There is much corruption and many scams. There is a company
now manufacturing panels in Port Au Prince. I do not remember their
name and Googling does not bring anything up.
   The only batteries available (at least last year) that were sourced
within the country were Trojan T-105's , very, very common and easy to
purchase in PAP.
   Why not use the charger built into the inverter to charge the
batteries, even when used as a UPS system? There really isn't a need
for an extraneous charger beyond that. You can source both Xantrex and
OutBack inverters from dealers in PAP and Leogane, where I was working.

Feel free to contact me off list if I can help,

Daryl DeJoy
NABCEP Certified PV installer
Penobscot Solar Design
207 326-0779