[RE-wrenches] Solar NGO's in Haiti??

William Dorsett wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 18 13:37:51 PDT 2012

A doctor in town has started an orphanage in Haiti and while it has
connection with government power for a few hours per day, it of course is
not reliable and is very expensive. We are still in the stage where we are
trying to figure how to shed as much load as possible. I have no
territoriality in this project and will help provide system design and
hardware at my cost, however apparently tariffs can be huge so we may want
to source as much as possible in country.  Can anyone tell me which solar
NGO's (SELF?) you'd recommend to tell us what hardware (deep cycle
batteries) is available in country? And if it is a simple UPS system,
storing from the grid, what grid-connected battery chargers does everyone
recommend for a fairly large battery bank? Used to be Todd chargers and I
wondered if they've corrected problems or passed on to some other company.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bill Dorsett

Sunwrights

1715 Leavenworth