[RE-wrenches] SunPower ACPV E18/225W Module with S-5-PV Clamps

Isaac Opalinsky iopalinsky at gmail.com
Fri May 18 06:09:00 PDT 2012

Jason,

Will you be doing a direct mount to S-5!, or will you use rails?

If using rails, there should be no significant difference from using ACPV
on a shingle roof with rails.  If doing a direct mount, I imagine it would
be a lot like using ACPV with Smart Mount, which attaches directly to the
roof decking.  Wire management is the main challenge; with both Smart Mount
and S-5! direct mount, you have very little clearance below the modules.
 The receptacle is designed to mount below the frame of the modules, and
you will have little clearance to pull out any remaining slack.
 Additionally, you will need to make sure that the receptacle brackets to
not conflict with any seams.  It's been a while since I've done an S-5!
direct mount, but I seem to recall having less than an inch between the
bottom of a module frame and the top of the seam; this will not be enough
to support the receptacle.  You may need to plan the module placement very
carefully to avoid this issue.

Please contact me off line at isaac.opalinsky at sunpowercorp.com if you want
to talk about your specific application and how to make it work.

Regards,
Isaac Opalinsky
Technical Trainer
SunPower