[RE-wrenches] Nickel-Iron Batteries

Tom Duffy Tom at thesolar.biz
Sun May 6 16:53:53 PDT 2012

Nickel iron has been around since Edison (Thomas) the cells are 1.2 volt and use potassium hydroxide as an electrolyte. The problem we had with them 20 or so years ago was that the voltage range is large, too large for electronics. So the useable range (window) is not that great. I have actually seen some that the cases were nickel... I can't imagine what that would cost today.

We concluded that while what you read looks amazing, they're not all that useful for RE applications using inverters. They might be useful if you're doing straight DC circuits. But it's a lot of cells.

Kind Regards

Tom Duffy
Senior Solar Design Engineer

Toll Free 888-895-8179
tom at thesolar.biz
For: Customer Service and Accounting 888-895-6810  Grid tie sales 888-895-7847
Off Grid sales 888-895-7765 Other Product Sales 888-895-9612
Shipping and Receiving 888-895-6497 Tech Support 888-895-8179