[RE-wrenches] Trace Change out

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 16:24:07 PDT 2012

Bill,

If reducing the input and charging amps allow the inverter to stay
connected to the generator, then I don't think you have an inverter
problem, you more likely have a generator tuning problem.  Inverters
rarely "half" break -- for the most part they either work, or they
don't.

Do a simple tune-up, plugs and wires, change the filters.  Check the
fuel supply to the generator -- use a manometer to check the pressure
while under full load.  Isolate and test the system one step at a time
-- generator to simple resistive loads, then add inverter for charging
but with the house loads disconnected, then bring the whole system
online together.  I've seen cases where the appliances in the house
caused just enough surge to make the generator stumble, which caused
the inverter to drop the generator.

BTW, one of the best tools to have on a
troubleshooting-a-generator-charging call is an oscilloscope -- I
can't begin to tell you how much trouble and grief it can save.  I
picked up a Picoscope a couple years ago, it's a USB connected device
which uses a laptop computer for power, memory and display.  Best
thing since sliced bread, highly recommended.

Good luck with it,

Phil