[RE-wrenches] Kohler 8.5 RMY question

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 05:15:52 PDT 2012

I installed two Kohler 12RES about five years ago, before we switched
brands to Generac. The Kohler units had a couple of electrical control
problems, minor issues, easily repaired, nothing mechanical. Residential
backup generators are in one of two states, working, or broken. If it has
not broken down, then it is working. End of story. When the break, you get
a new one.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Allan Sindelar <
allan at positiveenergysolar.com> wrote:

> **
> Wrenches,
> We sold and installed a few Kohler 8.5 and 11 RMY generators in the first
> half of the last decade. We found over the years that followed that they
> held up quite well, with very few problems if cared for.
>
> We have a customer whose off grid system we cared for for about a decade
> before she sold her property and moved on. The buyer, with whom I have
> never spoken, did little research on the property or the PV system before
> purchase, and is now dissatisfied with the system and has sued the seller.
> I have been asked to provide some history and guidance to the seller. The
> system includes an 8.5 RMY Kohler that, when the property was sold, had
> about 2,000 hours on it and was working well, I recall being told. The
> buyer has claimed, among other things, that it was "old and near the end of
> its service life."
>
> What kind of life have others seen from these units, and how have they
> held up in your experience?
> Thank you,
> Allan
> --
> *Allan Sindelar*
> *Allan at positiveenergysolar.com* <Allan at positiveenergysolar.com>
> NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer
> NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
> New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
> *Positive Energy, Inc.*
> 3201 Calle Marie
> Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507