[RE-wrenches] Off-grid ground mount

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Mar 25 11:20:12 PDT 2012

Another method I've used in the past, is to set a 20 ft pole right next to the house in concrete, then attach it to the house or rafter tails with unistrut and clamp. I'll usually use a 4 ft piece to spread the load out over at least three structural members.  Then the pole extends 4 to 6 ft above the roof as necessary to clear the roof with the bottom array edge.
This allows you to set what ever tilt and azimuth you want independent of the roof orientation.
2nd, it keeps you from making any penetrations on a sketchy roof
3rd it gets the array up higher for theft and shade prevention.
4th it allows seasonal tilt adjustment, and its fairly easy to install the modules from the roof, as you just rotate the rack over the roof to install, then rotate back out after.
I've used it in several systems, that have been up for over 10 years.
With grid tie and cheap modules, I quit using this method, but it might be just the ticket.
Russ has done these before, too.

Ray