[RE-wrenches] Off-grid ground mount

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sun Mar 25 09:21:41 PDT 2012

Allan:

We recommend the custom, top-of-pole
roof-mount:
http://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Portfolio/pole_mount/Custom_tracker_moutn_on_power_shed.jpg

Just kidding!  (A customer rigged this up.  Scary...).

We have used the DPW TTRGM racks on flat roofs.  We have a few of them
tilted up on pitched roofs, but I avoid lifting them because of aesthetics
and wind loading.  If this is an off-grid, adjustability or at least a
higher tilt angle is necessary, so this rack would suffice.  It does
require at least two people, preferably three, to adjust.

We build them with the legs set to high and then lower them all of the way,
or part way, depending on the design.  Some new modules do not have flanges
in the back for through-bolting, these would not work.

We have also used various brands of extruded rail with legs to tilt them
up.  See attached photo.  These get flimsy so I stay away from them.

Good luck.

William Miller