[RE-wrenches] Grid-Tied, PV by AC or DC

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu Mar 1 15:46:19 PST 2012

excellent question mark... and one which has been on my mind as well, being most of my work is bbgt.

todd

On Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:37am, "Mark Frye" <markf at berkeleysolar.com> said:

Folks,
I have a residential grid-tied customer in a net metered utility with a favorable TOU rate.
They could use about 10 kW of PV to offset 100% of their usage.
But, they also complain about regular power outages in their neigborhood. They don't want a generator.
With reliable AC coupling now available, do we yet know which is the more advantagous architecture; grid-tied, battery-based inverter w/ PV on the DC side via charge controllers, or grid-tied, battery-based inverter w/ PV AC coupled via grid-tied, utility-based inverter?
Your thoughts?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way