[RE-wrenches] Grid-Tied, PV by AC or DC

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Thu Mar 1 11:37:43 PST 2012

Folks,

I have a residential grid-tied customer in a net metered utility with a
favorable TOU rate.

They could use about 10 kW of PV to offset 100% of their usage.

But, they also complain about regular power outages in their neigborhood.
They don't want a generator.

With reliable AC coupling now available, do we yet know which is the more
advantagous architecture; grid-tied, battery-based inverter w/ PV on the DC
side via charge controllers, or grid-tied, battery-based inverter w/ PV AC
coupled via grid-tied, utility-based inverter?

Your thoughts?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way