[RE-wrenches] cycling flooded batteries is not necessary

John DeBoever jdeboever at trojanbattery.com
Tue Feb 21 10:29:43 PST 2012

Wrenches,

Sorry for late answer as I was/am busy in meetings.

I will recap as follows:

In a nut shell, Todd made a great point: equalizing and cycling are two different necessary steps in a full charge of a flooded lead acid battery. “Floating applications” means exactly that: they stay in floating mode 99% of the time. The float charge address the self-discharge of the battery. If the battery is seeing additional external causes for discharge, then it need to go through the re-charge process, which includes, depending the DOD, going through bulk charge, absorption charge and floating charge. On flooded lead acid technology, we have the luxury to do an equalization charge in lieu of the float charge, approximately after 30 cycles (typical 4 weeks, sometime earlier, sometime later, depending application specifics, size of battery, and, age of battery).
For memo: equalization charge address two issues – equalizing the cells so you do not face more than 30 points between the cells (resulting on difference charge acceptance), and, mitigate the acid stratification in the electrolyte (thus improving the charge-discharge performance and reducing corrosion).

Having said that, a  lead acid battery designed for true deep cycle is best used for cyclic applications that actually cycle the battery due to the application. That battery design will keep the battery in great condition with numerous cycles, provided you actually fully recharge the battery and address equalization periodically after completing absorption, instead of the floating mode. That does not mean that you need to exercise unnecessary cycle the battery for increasing life. Another distinction is that true deep cycle lead acid batteries require 50 to 100 cycles when new to reach full capacity.  Maybe that is where some confusion built up regarding “cycling a battery is good”.

A “UPS” battery  technology is designed specifically for 99% floating applications. They provide power as a “parachute” if & only when there is a power outage. Any exercise cycling on this battery design will ruin the battery. Some applications are necessary full “floating applications”: the “99% of the time” is actually much less than that ( power outage, loads, system  losses, shadow loads, …) , resulting into a larger DOD. The floating charge is therefore not sufficient to overcome the DOD. Now we are talking requirement of recharging the battery (thus actually cycling it).
Note: On VRLA, equalization is no go, although a boost charge can be considered on AGM (application specifics, too long to describe here on the blog).

The issue is to pick the right battery design for the application, and then make sure the battery is full charged at each cycle.

Hope this helps, not confusing you more. There are so many perspectives to see from and one is easy confused…

John