[RE-wrenches] Net-Metering Vs. Net-Billing

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 06:01:01 PST 2012

As I believe these consultants are using it, the terms does refer to a
method of billing outflows at a different rate to inflows. I hope I have
made that part clear in my blog post.

The idea of a feed-in-tariff is not going to fly in this country as there
is no tax base to pay for it. Government will nto pay anyone to produce
electricity. The best I can hope for, and all I want to see, is
net-metering, something that most of the members of this list would take as
a basic right.

I am actually shocked to see American consultants telling sunny Caribbean
islands that depend on diesel for energy that they should not encourage
residential solar PV. What's even funnier is the funding comes from a
climate change mitigation organization.

Thanks for your comments

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Christopher Warfel <
cwarfel at entech-engineering.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris, I had never heard of the term net-billing before.  Is this a two
> meter arrangement of a programmed meter that tracks the energy exported to
> the utility system versus what is imported to the site?
>
> Given the predictability of the solar resource in your area, I would think
> one could make an argument for a feed-in tariff or net metering if systems
> have characteristics that would most likely produce energy at time of
> system peak. I also live on an island and system peak is 10pm, so that
> concept only works if we program the battery systems to sell around that
> time.
>
> It has always bothered me to be in that part of the world and see so
> little renewable energy. The electric utilities hold a lot of political
> sway.  How can electric water heating be so pervasive versus solar assisted
> water heating?  It is really disturbing.  Chris
>

> ------- Original Message ------- On 2/19/2012 12:33 AM Comet Systems wrote:
> **
> I've been invited to take part in stake holder consultation meetings with
> a consultancy employed��by the Government�to make recommendations on
> renewable energy legislation for Anguilla. In the first of two meetings,
> they announced their intention to recommend a net-billing arrangement for
> grid-tied residential solar systems on the basis of offering the consumer
> less-than-avoided-cost. I was vocally opposed to anything other than
> net-metering at retail as I believe it cannot work and will fail and I have
> written a blog entry describing the issues.
> http://caribbeanrenewable.blogspot.com/
>
> As I have another meeting with them, I would like to prepare some examples
> of how this is a failed system. If anyone can offer some information I can
> use, or would like to critic my post, I would like to hear from you.
> As background, this is a tropical island with great sunshi ne, electricity
> at 43c/Kwh, and no incentives for solar installation.
>

> --�
> Chris Mason
> Skype: netconcepts
>

> Christopher Warfel, ENTECH Engineering, Inc. PO Box 871, Block Island, RI
> 02807, 401-466-8978 (v)(f)
>
> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette: