[RE-wrenches] Interstate L-16 vs Trojan L-16REB

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Feb 15 12:06:32 PST 2012

i would LOVE it if jamie surrette would chime in on this comment.

todd

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:51am, "Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems" <larry at starlightsolar.com> said:

I would not recommend using an RE battery for standby/back up use.
There is a similar problem that I have seen. People use 6 volt golf cart batteries in their motorthome and then stay plugged into shore power for long periods of time. I see premature failures from this type of use. A golf cart battery is designed to be cycled, not left in float service. Without exercising the battery by occasionally discharging it and then charging and equalizing, it is likely to fail early. My opinion is anecdotal but I'm convinced it is true.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems
(928) 342-9103

On Feb 15, 2012, at 11:38 AM, [mailto:toddcory at finestplanet.com] toddcory at finestplanet.com wrote:

> I've been happy with Trojan batteries. They do say that they need up to 100
> cycles to reach full capacity.

so what does this mean for grid ties/battery back-up?

todd

Sent from Finest Planet WebMail.