[RE-wrenches] Interstate L-16 vs Trojan L-16REB

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Feb 15 06:43:30 PST 2012

Hello Wrenches,

For small off grid systems, where money is an object, I use Trojan
L-16s of the standard capacity.  On this list, these have been
recommended by many as more durable than the HC.

I recently had a customer complain when his worn out HC batteries
(five years) were replaced by the standard capacity L-16
batteries.  He wasn't satisfied with the capacity.   I'm wondering if
Trojan has also declined in its quality, or if he is really noticing
a very significant difference between the HC and the E battery.  (Or
could he have new drains on his system he hasn't accounted for?)

Do you think the new Trojan L-16 batteries are as good as the old
ones?  Is it really best to avoid the HC batteries.  How much
noticeable difference is there between the initial performance of the two?

Thanks,

Drake

At 04:41 AM 2/15/2012, you wrote:
>I have had horrible experience with Interstate L-16's both the standard and
>the HC versions.
>When you have several installs that get 10+ years from the standard Trojan
>L-16's and you install (or they replace them with) Interstate's and some
>Deka's and they fail in 3 or so years, it says something.
>I see no reason that the customers would suddenly change their maintenance
>habits after years of doing it right!
>
>This also happened with a replacement set that I had.
>
>I have to blame the batteries,
>Bob Ellison

Drake Chamberlin
ATHENS ELECTRIC LLC