[RE-wrenches] AL vs CU

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 10:39:20 PST 2012

AL advantage:
   Weight (especially in long overhead runs).
   Theft factor (less attractive than CU to thieves at the moment).

CU advantage:
   Smaller conductors for a given current.
   CU-friendly lugs are readily found on the shelf.
   Ease of attachment to hardware.
   Less brittle/more flexible than AL.
   Commonly available in a variety of gauges.

Common to both:
Both metals corrode if improperly protected.
AL/CU recognized splice blocks alleviate dissimilar metals issues.

Likely there are many more.  There's a wealth of experience in this group.

Dan