[RE-wrenches] 110Vac LED resistance to weak grids in developing world

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu Feb 9 15:54:16 PST 2012

i have some personal experience with led light bulbs. i put them outside because the cfl floodlights are very s-l-o-w to warm up to full brightness.

1) leds are still slightly less efficient (lumens per watt) than cfl's
2) led light bulbs (2 different brands) throw out an ungodly amount of rfi... want to listen to a conversation on the 2 meter ham radio or listen to a weak fm broadcast station or watch channel 6 on the tee-vee? go shut off the led lights off first.

my conclusion? led light bulbs are not ready for prime time.

todd (still using my 25+ year old phillips dulux cfls)