[RE-wrenches] battery venting; Corrosion

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Fri Jan 6 15:20:11 PST 2012

Hi John,

I am curious about what you saying "float or equalization". Here's my understanding: If the battery is able to accept all current presented, the electrochemical process, SO4 combining with H released through decomposition, is balanced and with little excess gas released. When the electrolyte becomes saturated there is no more SO4 to recombine and gassing is raised significantly, the volume increasing relative to voltage.  Thus, equalization charging produces the highest volume of H and O gas. However, when the voltage is lowered to float, the current is at the lowest state, about 0.2 amps/100ah capacity, decomposition at that point is practically nil.

Am I missing something or did you mean to say during the acceptance and equalization mode?

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems