[RE-wrenches] Hydro Diversion Controls

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Nov 21 12:33:02 PST 2012

Friends:

I have just two micro-hydro clients, too few to have dedicated as much time
as I should to educate myself.  I appreciate any help on these questions:

I need to rework a diversion control system.

1. I am going to use a mercury wetted relay driven by the Aux relay in an
FX inverter set to actuate on high battery to connect the DC Bus to the
diversion load.  Sound OK?

2. Can I connect the hydro to the DC Bus (via a diode) using a breaker?  I
need OCP but I don't want anyone to disconnect the breaker and risk over
speeding the water wheel.  I could label the breaker "Do not open."  I have
been using a fuse, but if it opens, it is likely to remain undetected for a
longer time.

Thank in advance.

William Miller

Miller Solar